TRIVIA and QUOTES: U-17 World Cup Soccer
GUWAHATI:India will host the first FIFA World Cup from October 6. Here is a few interesting facts of U-17 World Cup and quotes on forthcoming competition. The information would be updated on regular basis till the competition begins.
1 It will be the 17th editions of the U-17 World Cup.
2. The competition was first held in 1985 in China and has since been held by all six confederations: Africa (twice, in Egypt and Nigeria), Asia (four times, in Korea Republic, China PR, Japan and the United Arab Emirates), Oceania (once, in New Zealand), North, Central America and the Caribbean (three times, in Canada, Trinidad & Tobago and Mexico), South America (three
times, in Ecuador, Peru and Chile), and Europe (three times, in Scotland, Italy and Finland).
3.From 1985 to 1993, matches were played over two 40-minute halves (extra time was ten minutes each way). In Ecuador in 1995, the standard duration of matches was increased to the traditional format of 45 minutes per half. There is no extra time in the competition.
4. Excluding the first edition of the tournament in 1985, the highest number of debutants was
seven in 1987, 1989 and 2007.
5. India, New Caledonia and Niger will be the three debutants at this edition.
6. As for the number of times that teams have taken part, the USA and Brazil (15 apiece) are
practically evergreens, ahead of Argentina (13).
7. Nigeria have reached eight finals (1985, 1987, 1993, 2001, 2007, 2009, 2013 and 2015) and
won record five, in 1985, 1993, 2007, 2013 and 2015.
8: The last 16 editions of the meet produced 1854 goals from 612 matches.
9: The most goals scored in a single tournament was in the UAE in 2013 (172 goals in 52 matches, with an average of 3.31 goals per match).
10: Brazil have scored a total of 166 goals
in the FIFA U-17 World Cup. In second and third place are
Nigeria with 149 goals and Mexico-Spain with 97 goals.
11.BISMARCK of Brazil scored the first goal of U-17 World cup in 1985. The last goal, which was 1859 in the competition, was against the name of BAMGBOYE (Nigeria).
12. The highest scoring match of the competition was between New Zealand and Spain in Egypt (1997). Spain won the game 13-0.
13. Brazil and USA jointly hold the record of participating m0st number of times. Both the teams participated 15th occasion in the competition.
14.Nigeria played record 16 consecutive matches without facing a single defeat.
15. Nigeria (16) holds the record to score most number of goals in a single competition.
16> Juan Santisteban coached Spain on seven different occasions, but did not finish higher than second (1991 and
17. Nigeria have won an impressive 73% of their FIFA U-17 World Cup games.
18.In 1987, 1989, 1999 and 2007, the final was decided on penalties and on each occasion, a team
from a different confederation came out on top. All other finals were decided in regular time.
1. FIFA U-17 Worlc Cup can secure India’s future as a footballing Nation—PK Banerjee (Former International Footballer).
2.We will play as a unit and as a collective force. We will fight strongly as a unit, he declared. Commenting on the opponent-Luis Norton de Matos (Head Coach of India)